http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/world/americas/14mexico.html?ref=internationaleducation
This article is about Mexico changing what foods and drinks they offer in schools, trying to combat obesity. Some of the good things that they did were to stop selling soft drinks and 90 % of fried foods. The do not serve lunch in Mexican schools, so they can purchase snacks at recess and after school, so there are vendors that show up and sell junk food. I completely agree with what many in the article said about it being a personal responsibiility of making healthier choices when it comes to food and that home is where this should be learned and enforced. But I do believe that it is the school's responsibility to teach nutrition and exercise as part of a healthy lifestyle and I believe that the schools made a step in the right direction to begin to offer healthier choices and lessen the unhealthy foods that are offered. We cannot force parents to feed their children healthy food, but schools are supposed to be a place to promote healthy choices for children, and this should most definitely include the foods that we serve to them.
No comments:
Post a Comment