Saturday, February 19, 2011

Anoka-Hennepin Bullying Suicides

http://www.tcdailyplanet.net/news/2010/09/02/mother-anoka-hennepin-school-policy-contributed-gay-son%E2%80%99s-suicide

I think that the neutrality policy adopted by the Anoka-Hennepin school district is unfortunate and it reminds me of the military's "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy.  This is not going to help students dealing with bullies, students dealing with their sexuality and acceptance, or with spreading knowledge and acceptance within the schools in general.  I do feel like the district is making it difficult for supportive teachers to do as much as they would like for these students, but I do not accept their excuses of not feeling like they can intervene to help students because of this policy.  Teachers first priority needs to be the students and their safety and well-being (first do no harm).  Common sense, compassion, and instinct should come into play, not concern for their job, when an instance occurs such as bullying and the teacher needs to address the situation. 

Drastic changes need to occur to help all students to feel safe and accepted in their schools, and biases and opinions need to be put aside and we need to think of the children first - PERIOD. 

No comments:

Post a Comment