Sunday, February 6, 2011

American Voices, Far from Home

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/world/europe/24teachers.html?_r=1&ref=internationaleducation

I found this article to be very interesting.  I think the idea of sending American teachers to Georgia to teach English is a neat idea.  I thought it was interesting to get the teacher's perspectives on how the process is going.  It is very sad that the conditions in the classrooms are so poor that it makes learning very difficult.  The differences in practices between America and Georgia is also interesting as well as a great challenge. 

Many classrooms in America are in poor shape also, with limited and outdated supplies and technology.  Many schools also have students that bring so much baggage with them to school, that learning is a big obstacle for them as well.  However, as much as I believe our education system here in America is in crisis, it did make me think that we certainly have a leg up on many other parts of the world.  This makes me think that we are certainly capable of making improvements and a difference in the lives of our students and have a very real obligation to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment